It’s that time of year again and you’re probably trying to figure out what to get your favorite Preppers. Whether you’re stuffing a stocking, taking a host gift to a holiday party or need a gift for one of the eight crazy nights, here’s a list of our favorite small gifts:
- Sugru – If you haven’t yet heard of Sugru, get ready to get excited. Sugru is self-setting, moldable rubber that can be used for fixing things or making things better. It comes in little matchbook sized packets and feels like Silly Putty. Mold it around whatever you need fixed, let it sit over night and the next day you’ll have a durable fix for whatever is broken. Check out their user-submitted photos for great ideas. $18 for 8 mini-packs, available in multiple colors from Sugru.com.
- Swedish FireSteel – a must-have for any Prepper or outdoorsperson, Swedish FireSteel replaces a lighter or matches with a 5550-degree spark that starts a fire in cold or wet weather. One FireSteel lasts for 12,000 strikes. Under $20, available from your local outdoor store or Amazon.
- Sewing Kit – Don’t underestimate the power of a tiny needle and a little thread – clothes have emergencies too. Restoration Hardware just unveiled a very masculine sewing kit that includes scissors, tape measure, tweezers, needles, strong thread and a thimble. Roll-up design and olive green canvas keep it small and manly. $24 from Restoration Hardware.
- 9-in-1 LED Emergency Flare – Admittedly one of our favorite things this year, the electronic flare uses 15 LEDs to flash an emergency signal that can be seen up to a half-mile away. It’s waterproof and durable; you can even drive a car over it. $30 from Duluth Trading.
- Life Hammer – We think every car on the road should have a Life Hammer in the glove box. Life Hammers are small, double-headed steel tools that easily shatter car windows. They also have a safety blade on the bottom that cuts through seat belts. It’s one of those things you hope you never need, but if you do, it will be the best $30 you’ve ever spent. Available online at Life Hammer.
- NOAA Solar Weather Radio – NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards (NWR) is a nationwide network of radio stations broadcasting continuous weather information directly from the nearest National Weather Service office. NWR broadcasts official Weather Service warnings, watches, forecasts and other hazard information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Weather band radios come in all shapes, sizes and with a variety of power sources. We like hand-crank (no batteries) or the solar versions. We especially like the Red Cross version that will charge your smartphone, too. About $50 from Amazon.
- Hand-crank cell phone charger and flashlight – Speaking of cool Red Cross gadgets, their phone charger and flashlight gadget is also handcrank and multi-purpose. A great way to spend $15 – also from Amazon.
- Gourmet Emergency Food – We would be remiss if we didn’t mention what a great gift emergency food makes. Every year around the holidays we get notes from customers telling us what a great response they get when they give packets of our gourmet dehydrated entrees in stockings, as white elephant gifts, as host gifts or as thank you gifts for teachers and others. Sampler kits are a favorite at under $30. Online from Wise.
- BioLight Campstove – The BioLite CampStove is designed for outdoor and emergency preparedness and makes cooking on wood as clean, safe and easy as petroleum fuels while powering electronics off-grid. At 8.5 inches tall and 33 oz, it cooks and powers most smartphones. Excellent combined with WiseFire. $129 from Biolitestove.